Instructions before the procedure
– The doctor must be informed of your health condition of chronic diseases or medications because this may affect the course of treatment
– Dental prosthesis are done when it is needed, especially after root canal treatment to protect the teeth
– Dental veneers is a correct scientific procedure that done for cases such as severe pigmentation that cannot be treated, the presence of irregular teeth shape, multiple voids, problems of the enamel layer and fractures of the front teeth
– Choosing the color of the prosthesis and veneers before starting the procedure is done by the doctor and approved by the patient
– The teeth are can also be photographed before and after the treatment (after patient agreement)
prosthesis need a good care with brushing, flossing and water flosser
It varies according to the number of teeth covered in the treatment and usually needs two or three sessions between preparing the tooth, taking impressions and the last session for the final cementation
Important to know
The dental prosthesis requires accuracy and time, and needs to take multiple impressions before and after preparing the teeth. Impressions include the upper and lower jaws, even if only one tooth is crowned, and the doctor may have to re-take impressions if there is any issue before cementation
Instructions after the procedure
1- During the treatment phase
– The impressions will be sent to the specialized laboratory in manufacturing of prosthesis, and it may take a week to ten days until the final prosthesis is ready.
– Temporary prosthesis will be placed until the final prosthesis is received and ready (when needed).
– Discomfort may occur in gums and area next to the prepared tooth after the first session and this will gradually disappear after the few days
– The use of salty warm water rinses or warm water and the myrrh herb helps the health of the gums and protect them from infections during the treatment stages
2- After treatment
– After completing the treatment stages, make sure that a permanent adhesive has been applied to the prosthesis that were cemented
– You should not eat very hard foods such as carrots and apples, and no pressure on the crowns with a spoon or metal fork, because this damages the prosthesis and may cause them to break or dislodge.
– Commitment to brushing with toothpaste twice to three times a day with the correct brushing method from your doctor helps greatly in maintaining the prosthesis.
– Use dental floss daily at least once, and if you encounter difficulty using it, practice it with your doctor or watch online videos
– It is recommended to use the water flosser twice a day before brushing to prevent yellow pigmentation between the teeth
– Maintain follow-up sessions every four to six months after the final cementation to check on the prosthesis, as well as the cleaning the teeth from calculus and pigmentation
In some cases the prosthesis may be dislodged, please keep them until you can have an appointment with your doctor to be re-cemented
Periodic detection and early treatment of cavities and nerve problems and preserving teeth with fillings and prosthesis is something that helps you prevent major consequences such as tooth loss and extraction, and do not forget that prevention is better than cure, neglecting to treat your teeth makes it worse
Source: Almana Dental & Maxillofacial center